33257 Visualisation of Micro and Nano Structures
|Visualisering af mikro og nanostrukturer|
|Taught under open university|
Scope and form:
Lectures and exercises, 4 hours a week.
Duration of Course:
Date of examination:
Type of assessment:
General course objectives:
Micro and nano structures are central elements in a long range of research and industrial projects and products.
The goal of this course is to give you an overview of methods for visualisation of these structures and to understand the underlying physics.
With this knowledge you will be able to choose the best suited techniques for a given task and to diagnosticate and further develop these visualisation techniques.
Furthermore, you will be able to interpret the informations provided by these techniques. This can both be in the form of a shape of the sample (topography) and its material properties.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Summarize advantages and disadvantages of optical microscopy (OM)
- Summarize advantages and disadvantages of Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Summarize advantages and disadvantages of Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM)
- Explain the operational principle, underlying physics and the limitations of the above mentioned methods
- Calculate and evaluate metrological aspects of data generated using the above mentioned methods
- Analyze and interpret data generated using the above mentioned methods
- Compare properties and relate characteristics of the above mentioned methods
- Select the appropriate visualization methods for a given application
The course covers the most important methods for visualisation of micro and nano structures used at DTU and associated companies.
The topics are:
· Optical microscopy (OM)
· Scanning electron Microscopy (SEM)
· Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
· Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM)
· Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM
The methods are introduced in dedicated hands-on exercises. You will get access to state-of-the-art equipment for visualization purposes. This will contribute to the understanding of the methods.
Furthermore, you will present and evaluate a scientific article and its use of visualization methods.
Compendium for the course 33257.
Green challenge participation:
Please contact the teacher for information on whether this course gives the student the opportunity to prepare a project that may participate in DTU´s Study Conference on sustainability, climate technology, and the environment (GRØN DYST). More information
|, 344, 128, (+45) 4525 5753,
, 307, 038, (+45) 4525 3232,
, 307, 119, (+45) 4525 6471,
, 307, 116, (+45) 4525 6487,
|33 Department of Micro and Nanotechnology|
|10 Department of Physics|
59 Center for Electron Nanoscopy
|nano technology, metrology, mikroskopi, Visualisation of micro and nano structures|
July 6, 2012|
See course in DTU Course base