Dates for 2017: 14-25 August.
Nano and micro technologies in drug delivery and sensing are emerging and promising techniques, and are areas in rapid development.
Tentative program for 2017
SIGN-UP is now open
Download the flyer for 2017
Drug delivery is a diverse area, but often nano and micro technologies are necessary for developing a drug delivery system. It can be complicated to develop and understand these systems, and also to choose the optimal system. In this course we will get introductions to various technologies from academic and industrial perspectives, and also try various techniques out in the laboratories. There will also be a focus on label-free sensors in drug delivery – a field with a large potential. This course and the sensor-based summer school will run in parallel with some lectures and group work together.
The aim of the drug delivery summer school is to provide an overview of nano and micro technologies in drug delivery with examples of delivery technologies for peptides/proteins, for poorly soluble drug, and for cancer drugs, and to give hands-on experience in oral drug delivery technologies.
Learning objectives (drug delivery):
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Explain the advantages of using drug delivery systems for treatment of diseases
- Evaluate strength and weaknesses of various nano and micro technologies for drug delivery
- Design suggestions for sensors for the area of drug delivery
- Discuss the opportunities of label-free sensors in drug delivery and the biomedical area
- Plan and follow key experimental steps for the process of developing drug delivery technologies
- Present own results in form of poster and scientific seminar
- Act as an active and critical listener at scientific seminars
We will combine lectures on sensing principles in drug delivery and on nano and micro technologies in drug delivery with hands-on laboratory work. You will have the possibility to: 1) develop technologies for oral drug delivery, 2) test the application of the technology in relevant analytical methods.
The experiments will be based on commercially available instruments as well as on systems developed at DTU Nanotech.
The experimental work will be performed in teams and the developed technologies with be discussed in plenum to be able to discover pro and cons on the various technologies and techniques. By the end of the school we will in collaboration have generated an overview of technologies in drug delivery in terms of sensors and pharmaceutical technologies. To pass the course, you must take active part in the group work and in the scientific discussions.
You earn 5 ECTS points.
Registration fee: €400